Sunday, December 8, 2013

Another view of Bangkok

I've always pictured being in Bangkok like being in some futuristic movie like Blade Runner or Total Recall.  With it's multi level BTS Skytrain and sky walk and multiple malls and plazas all inter connected above and below ground, modern Bangkok does not disappoint!  You can easily get lost in all of it and not only forget where you are within buildings or outside, but also where you are vertically. "Hey! Weren't we just inside on the 3rd floor?!"  If you like big cities, which we do, this place is it.  Dy even made the bold statement that she likes it better than NYC...(I can't bring myself to say that, but it sure is awesome! I got your back New York!)

Modern Bangkok is definitely 2 cities.  One you see during the day, and a different one at night.  The difference is night and day!  (Boooooooo!!!). If you had to choose, go with night!  Besides the big city lights, buildings and malls we also had to spend a few hours people watching and walking the side streets/"Soi's" Bangkok is also known for.  Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy and Pat Pong.  I won't go into any detail, but let's just say I'm sure everything you've ever heard is true! ...Ladyboys included... You can read more here if so inclined.

View down Sukhumvit rd from level 1 of the Skywalk in Siam Square area.


An area called Central World all decked out for Christmas.  There were 2 live bands playing in this area. TWO!!! I wish there were gigs like that at home!

It's beginning to look ...uhhh...lot like Christmas?  Those are my kinda Christmas trees!

Fountains at an outside lobby area at Siam Center.



We went out looking to see a specific band at a bar I found.  When we got to the bar we found out they had called in sick and another band was playing.  We decided to just walk the area and try our luck somewhere else.  We came across this band just playing outside in Siam square...aaaaand they were serving beer!  Done! That's where we planted ourselves for the night.  On the subject of beer for a second, it seems it's common in Thailand to put ice in your beer. ICE IN YOUR BEER!?!?! Now THAT is against the rules!

Hello Kitty golden arches (my nieces Hailey and Zoe would love this!)



Siam Square area during the day.  


Two levels of Sky train above the busy Sukhumvit rd.

Inside the fence of the Royal Thai police headquarters 1 day after the Kings birthday, and 2 days after the protests seemingly ended.  Clearly it's not all over.  As of this blog post there are more planned for Monday.  


What you're lookin' at here folks is a whole pile of fried insects and some larvae as well.  At least there's some sauce to go with it! We're all up for trying this stuff, buuut the lady wasn't cooking it right there in front of us, and if I can't be assured it's been fried beyond all recognition, I ain't eatin' it!  I'm sure the opportunity will present itself again!  Don't worry I'll get her on camera!