We have really enjoyed just bumming it up and back down the coast of New South Wales and Queensland Australia stopping here and there and sleeping by the ocean almost every night. We found a nice spot in Coffs Harbour that we actually returned to on our way back down the coast from Brisbane. A nice beach side spot where many vans gather and surfers stop at because of the great breaks. You see many others doing the same thing in all kinds of different vans. Many rental companies even paint theirs up with psychadelic colours and sayings.
 |
| Some of our neighbors for the night |
I have to say we've really enjoyed Australia, but one thing that really stands out to me are the people. There is a real laid back and humorous vibe to most of the people we've come across. For instance, every time we were making coffee in the morning standing at the back of our van, you can be sure someone would walk by saying without hesitation, "I'll take mine with 2 sugars please", or when we're cooking something a passerby would ask "so, what time should I show up for dinnah?". At one point we were having a snack we just bought on a bench outside a grocery store and an elderly lady was slowly making her way past us. We thought she was coming to sit down. We said to her, "Would you like to sit down?" as we slid along the bench. She said "no just doing a few groceries" and she walked past us into the store. About 15 minutes later we were still sitting there, and out she comes... without blinking an eye she says to us "oh, still sitting on my bench I see...". I really like to think that we Canadians have much in common with Aussies!
Driving
I have to admit I was a bit nervous about simply renting the van in Sydney and hitting the road straight away. Although I have driven a motorcycle in countries where they drive on the left, a car (let alone a van), would be a whole new level of complexity. Oh well, might as well get in the drivers seat, on the RIGHT side and have a go!
 |
| This isn't our van, I just really really like it! |
Y'know what?, it's actually not that bad at all. You really get used to it quickly. It helps that there are so many roundabouts so you don't have to make many right hand turns. (think left hand turns in North America, where you are crossing oncoming traffic.). It also helps that I'm a graduate of the
Robert Dalgleish school of traffic circles...lol! Speaking of right hand turns, Dy had many 'brain farts' giving directions because of this. She would say "take a left here" but she was pointing to the right. Basically she meant make the "more difficult cross traffic" turn here... What's worse is after a while I knew exactly what she meant! It probably sounded like some sort of Abbott and Costello skit after a while. "Turn right...you mean left!?....right...right, left then?!?! right!"
 |
| The drivers seat. |
There were a few times when we were in a parking lot after having done groceries, and we walked to the van and automatically went to the opposite side we were supposed to. We'd just kinda look at each other, laugh, then go around to the proper side. I'll tell you though, the one thing I never got used to is the signal light indicator and windshield wipers controls being on opposite sides I'm used to. (Signal on right, wipers on left). I can't tell you how many times I would approach a turn and promptly turn the windshield wipers on instead of signaling. No one knew which way I was turning, but damnit at least my windshield was clean!
Kangaroo's
So we had seen kangaroo's from a distance, from the motorway, but we were really hoping to see some up close. We headed our way to a little town called Southwest Rocks where there is a spot called Little Bay where, "apparently" you might get a chance to see a few if you're lucky.
Check the video below to see our results!
So we hit the kangaroo lottery in Little Bay! We were so happy. We could get pretty close to them too. They just carry about their business until you get about 2 or 3 feet from them. Then they just stand at attention and stare at you waiting for you next move. Part of me was expecting them to put their fists up and try to box with you... They do that right!?!?...no?!?...maybe I watched too many cartoons as a kid! Seriously though, very cool too see that close in the wild. Dy, being herself, and loving to get as close to animals as she can, tried to feed them grass....but backed off after getting snarled at by a Mom with her Joey (yep! baby kangaroos are called Joeys!...see they're even cool at naming their animals...).
 |
| Dy and some of her new friends |
 |
| Has anyone seen my watch!? |
Blue Mountains
After a week and a half of the coast we decided to head west into the Blue Mountains. The Blue Mountains are about an hour West of Sydney. From a distance you can see a slight blue haze above the trees in this mountain range. Hence its name. The haze is actually a fine oily mist emitted from the eucalyptus trees, which the mountains are full of...True Story!.
 |
| Blue Mountain view from Katoomba |
We had a great day trekking the paths and cliffs surrounding the town of Katoomba, which is the main tourism center in the Blue Mountains. The trails are very accessible to some great lookout points, and there are some pretty good longer more rugged trails for those that want a bit more. We covered a bit of both. The scenery is incredible and I could go on trying to describe it, but the camera really does a much better job!
 |
| The Three Sisters |
 |
| Dy having a peak over the edge. |
 |
| Katoomba falls. |
Grand Pacific Drive
After spending a few days in the mountains it was time to set our sights back east and head to Sydney, but not before a little detour south. Beginng just south of Sydney and continuing for about 150 kms through Wollongong to Kiama and beyond is a little stretch of highway (or motorway for the Aussies) called the Grand Pacific Drive. Some parts of this gem are very reminiscent of the Pacific Coast highway running from L.A. to San Francisco, although not near as long. (I'm sure some Californians and Aussies alike would scoff at me saying that, but there it is!) The road basically hugs its way along a cliffside escarpement and the Pacific Ocean weaving up and down and in and out of forrest. It is absolutely packed with motorcycles as well, which made it that much harder for me to concentrate on driving. Boy am I glad to be driving a mini van along here!!! (that right there is sarcasm!!). Seriously, for all my motorcycling friends, put this place down on the bucket list!
 |
| Sea cliff bridge, Grand Pacific. |
 |
| Rock pool along the coast. It gets fed from the tidal waters. |
 |
| Kiama blowhole |
 |
| Kiama blowhole in action |
We buckled down for the night at a nice little town called Kiama. We found a bunch of other nomads camping out oceanside at a beach just out of town. We really DON'T get tired of doing this!
 |
| Beach just outside of Kiama |
That's basically it for our road trip. We head back up the coast and return our wheels. Although it will be sad to say good bye to our van "Mighty Matt" we're excited to visit with some friends we made in the early stages of our adventure (hmmm... who would that be?), and finally see the big city of Sydney!