Thursday, July 3, 2014

Warsaw, Poland: The Old and The New

So, before Canada Day in Vilnius, Lithuania we were in Warsaw, Poland...

The New City

Our first glimpse of Warsaw revealed glassy high rises and glitzy modern shopping centres- well, that is, right after seeing the bus station.  During WWII, about 85% of Warsaw was  demolished by mass bombings and heavy artillery fire, so most of it has been rebuilt.  It has a very modern feel to it compared to some of the other places we've visited in eastern Europe.


Modern mall that drew me in


The city scape

The Old Town


They also reconstructed their old town area where we had a nice time walking around.  We watched the movie The Pianist which brought some of the history of Warsaw ghetto to life for us and our visit to the worth while Uprising Museum even more so.  The Uprising was the polish resistance army who fought to liberate Warsaw of Nazi Germany control during WWII.

Reconstructed old town square

Walking vending machines joining the guards?

Uprising Museum

But the real highlight for us in Warsaw was very unexpected...

Iron Maiden and Slayer in Poznan, Poland

This part is written by Jamie...(which becomes pretty obvious)

It all started about 20 minutes after arriving in Warsaw.  We were walking to our apartment and there it was...a poster advertising Iron Maiden and Slayer playing...somewhere at sometime (it was a long date and all in polish...). I said, "Dy....I'm going to this...".  She answered "I know...but I'm not".  As it turned out the concert wasn't even in Warsaw at all.  It was to be in a city called Poznan, about 350 kms west of Warsaw, closer to Berlin actually.  No matter, I found tickets on line and began the the search...  I'll take the train...or a bus, whatever.  As it turned out I found a company that specializes in bus trips to concerts.  Awesome!  It was five hours there, then five hours back.  All worth it!!

So I step off the bus in a new town with a few hours to kill.  Hmm, what to do?  I think I walked around the front of the stadium a dozen times simply people watching and listening to sounchecks going on, just taking it all in.  Boy, I do miss drumming.  Especially when they're all miked up!  Thud! Thud! Thud! More goosebumps... and that's just soundcheck.

INEA Stadion, Poznan Poland

I eventually settled in at a small pub across the street for something to eat (polish sausage of course) and to grab a beer.  The place had a large patio set up for the concert and long tables with umbrellas etc...  I grabbed a seat at a mostly empty table and had my meal.  The other 2 people were on their way out which left me sitting at this looong table all to myself.  I'm sure I looked like the most popular guy in the world...!  Lol!  Then along came 3 folks looking for a place to sit.  One girl and two guys.  They made a gesture asking if they could sit.  Of course I said (in international sign language).  The girl sat down and we talked a bit.  Karolina is her name.  I said "my Polish is a little rough", she laughed and started speaking English to me.  Then her partner Poitr and their friend Marcin came back with their beers and sat down.  We all introduced ourselves and began chatting like it was high school and we were going to a Slayer concert ;)

Karolina, Piotr and Marcin

Marcin, Karolina, Piotr and I sat there for an hour or so before it was time to head to the show.  We compared our tickets and we were all sitting pretty close to each other, although they were a bit closer.  Marcin said "just come in with us" they won't care.  Fair enough, I'll give it a shot.  We walked through a few sets of gates, then the very last ones before entering the stadium bowl.  I showed my ticket to the attendant and she pointed me to the next entrance over.  Marcin immediately took control, said a few things in Polish to her, they both laughed and I was in..done!  As luck would have it there were a few empty seats beside and in front of them so I spent the entire show in closer seats with my new friends!

SLAYERRRR!  

This was most definitely a bucket list thing for me.  I've seen both bands before, but to experience a European concert in a huge football (Soccer) stadium is something to behold! (Well... In my Metal mind:).   I do have to admit, it was a bit bitter sweet as well.  I have seen Slayer many..many times (I warned my new friends a few times... I really, REALLY like Slayer!) This is the first time I have seen them since 1991 without my friend Tim, so as they hit the stage there was excitement and sadness all rolled into one.

Check out the video below to see what I'm talking about.  A huge crowd at night singing...goosebumps I tell ya!


Iron Maiden

I had such a great time at the concert, and it was just as amazing meeting my new Polish friends.  As it turns out they drove from Warsaw as well, so we just had to meet up again.

OK Dy... you can have this blog back now!

Our New Friends

Thanks Jamie.... Smart arse...

The day after Jamie returned from his side trip, we got an email inviting us out for dinner to a local restaurant from Marcin.  We all met up and I got to meet Karolina and Marcin from the concert (Piotr was away for work unfortunately) as well as Marcin's wife Izabela, and their son Ignacy.  Everybody chit chatted like old friends.  Afterwards, they asked if we had seen the Vistula River and brought us down to a neat local hang out place along the banks of the river.



As we were driving back , Marcin suggested one more stop at a big park near their place.  We strolled around the park for a while and then decided to stop at one of the several lively little pubs within the park.  It had a great camp fire going and so many people of all ages were dancing inside - not the excessive base dance club stuff, but just great rock.  We had such a great time and I wish we had something similar at home.

The gang on the Vistula River bsnk for sunset

Now that's a crackling fire!

The next day, we got another email inviting us over to Marcin and Izabelas flat for a typical polish dinner.  They both cooked while we talked with them and played with Ignacy and his Lego blocks.  We tried home made plum brandy, home made pickles (ogorki), sour rye soup (zurek), boiled potatoes with dill and something like a sour cream, (but not), and pork cutlets (kotlet schabowy). The food was great, but the company even better.  They welcomed us into their home so easily, with no formalities, like we belonged... and we learned so much about them and life in Poland.

What a great meal


After dinner, Izabela's parents stopped by and brought over a traditional northern polish "tree cake" (sekacz).  This cake is made on a spit over a fire and has rings of golden goodness.

Kids like to tear off the bumpy bits of the cake, although I saw adults do it too!


We left with full belly's and grateful for our new polish friends.  They even filled tubs of cake and cherries for us to snack on our  overnight bus trip. We can't thank them enough and hope to return their kindness if they ever visit Canada.

Dziękuję