Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Adio, Athens - The Road to Rhodes

We've boarded the ferry and are on our way to Rhodes.  It's the milk run, so we'll be stopping just about everywhere before arriving in Rhodes Tuesday night.
Athens was great, but it's definitely time to move on.  The history and Greek mythology of the area are interesting and the weather's been great. Almost every inch of concrete and steel shop door is losing the fight to graffiti. It's everywhere; on galleries, museums, monuments, fences and homes.  Some of it is really beautiful and full of imagination - but most of it is simply vandalism or used to voice strong political opinion. You can definitely feel the unrest here, (the police ride double on motorcycles, gather in groups on the streets, and we saw at least 4 police"tour bus" size patty wagons), but the people we met were very friendly and the city views incredible.






We spent this afternoon waiting for our ferry in the port of Piraeus. We found a grocery store and while I stayed with the bags, Jamie went in to get some food for the ferry. He came out with bacon flavored crackers, grapes, and a six pack of beer.  He's such a ham.  I made a second trip to the grocery store...

We boarded the ferry 8 hours ago and met a lovely lady from the south of France who was traveling alone.  I offered her a glass of my store bought wine, (I'm sure she was impressed :-)), and then Jamie and I got to practice our french for the next several hours. Luckily, she's very forgiving and we had a great time.  


Then the seas got angry, (Poseidon getting restless?), and a guy sitting at a table beside us tossed his cookies.  That did wonders for my already queasy stomach and we headed inside looking for seats. I opted for a piece of the floor. :-x Jamie and our new friend Francine are sprawled out on the reclining seats. Thankfully, the rolling sea has stopped for now. Mom, you were right, I should have taken the gravol with us.  There's no WiFi on the ferry, so by the time you read this, we'll be back on solid ground.
Looking forward to Rhodes...
Of course Jamie insisted on including a picture...