Friday, October 18, 2013

Istanbul part 1

 DRUM NERD ALERT!

Well, might as well get some drumming in! If I'm blogging about Istanbul, there is no question I have to start with drums - cymbals actually. For those of you that don't know, (and are still reading...), Istanbul is the mecca of cymbal making.  They have been making them here since the 1600's.  There are many companies now, but they all in some way relate back to the Zildjian family.  The neighborhood where we are staying is the same as where the family lived for centuries.  It's called Nisamtasi.  There's the history lesson.  You can read more here if you want.

Here I am holding an original Istanbul ride from the time when Istanbul was one company.  (Hey Quinn Dube, tell the old K Custom it was only a fling...)



Now to my point.  Our hosts are well connected journalists here in Istanbul (Anna and Engin).  When I told Engin I was a drummer and wondering if any of the factories were in the area, he said that unfortunately they are all on the outskirts of town. (Istanbul is huuuge BTW). Engin said, my friend has a studio here, we can go down there and play whatever we want. Hmmm sounds like a good idea to me...

Istanbul Mehmet cymbals and Take Star Classic Bubinga.


The studio he brought me to is half a block from Galata Tower, a landmark tower on the Istanbul skyline.  The studio itself is on the second floor of an old Ottoman era building and has 3 rooms.  Engin introduced me to his friend Kaan, the owner of the studio; then like all studio rat/musicians had to attend to someone in another studio with a handful of mic cables and patchchords. (I'm sure he had balloon hands after...) Its OK- Engin and I were entertained with the video game system. Kaan returned, and like all Turks, brewed us the strongest, and I mean STRONGEST coffee ever brewed.  Really it was more like...hmmm...a hot...small..did I mention strong?...THICK!... milkshake... Honestly I need more time here to figure the coffee out!

After some conversation over... Coffee?...  Kaan opened a drawer pulled out some sticks handed them to me and said "let's play". He brought me into one of the studios.  I sat down, noodled around for a bit, then Engin and Kaan left the studio and said "have fun".  That's it?   OK then...

I've honestly not played much at all for a few months...felt a bit rusty...but you know sometimes stepping away from things for a while makes you realize how much you truly love it...  It's raw recording and full, full, full of mistakes, but I had the freaking time of my life for a few hours!



Afterwards, Kaan insisted we have tea (tea...always tea), and order some food.  We had some great "tost" sandwiches...  I didn't have a table or tray to eat off of, so Engin handed me a framed picture of Yngwie Malmsteen and said "here, you can use Yngwie as a tray". (My guitar playing and musician friends are laughing hard right now BTW!)

That's pretty much it...  I definitely owe Engin and Kaan more than they know.  I had to go to the music shop the next day and buy a mini practice pad and sticks.  WTF was I thinking not bringing a practice pad and sticks in the first place!?!?....

OK, enough self indulgence...  We have a mountain a pics and so much to say about this incredible city!  Part 2 is coming very soon...  And we just booked our next flight...hmmmm!?!?