Wednesday, October 30, 2013

New Delhi, India

The forecast flying in to Delhi was literally "Smoke"...

The moment we walked off the plane or "de-planed" you could smell it.  I've heard that there is a smell here but didn't know what to expect.  It's actually not bad.  I wouldn't say it's good either, it's just there...

Our shuttle driver found us at the terminal and within minutes we hit the streets of Delhi.  (It was fun to have someone holding your name up on a card after you land.) BAM!!!  POW!!!  WHAM!!!  What a place!  The chaotic traffic,  the monkeys scurrying about....The cows!  So far it is by far the most chaotic place we have been to.  We are loving it...  It's hard to tell why exactly, but I'm pretty sure it's the people.  No matter what is going on an Indian person is mostly always calm, respectful and happy.  It makes a world of difference.

We are staying in the center of it all in a Hostel right in the Main Bazaar.  There is so much action going on here it's incredible.  Cows in the streets.  Hotels with Vegas style lights next door to spice salesmen.  Popcorn vendors in the streets.  Children performing acrobatics in their dirty clothes and bare feet for change. A Urinal out in the open around the corner.  Yep, everything!  I really can't explain what it's like here.  Colourful... Those that have been here or lived here know what I'm struggling to say.  (Yvonne, Christine)

Humayuns tombs




The last 2 days have been spent walking the streets around Connaught Place.  Hitting the underground Bazaar and seeing the sights all over Delhi.  We decided to get a car and driver for a few days when we head out of Delhi. Diwali starts this weekend and the trains are booked with locals heading home to celebrate. It's not luxury, it's more like renting a car but it comes with a driver.  You're seriously insane if you attempt to drive here.  Chaos I can handle, but add on the right side steering and the left side driving and forget it!

Lotus Temple


I think the most touching thing we've seen so far is the monument to Gandhi where he was cremated and the house where he spent his last days.  Both very peaceful places that really reflect his beliefs.  What an incredible man and life.

Gandhis only worldly posessions

Last bed

School kids were nuts about waving to us and saying hi!

India gate

Ghandi memorial

Peace gong at Gandhi hoise

I agree

India Parliament



We are heading off with Sanjay our driver to Agra tomorrow then Jaipur after that.  Hopefully we'll find some WiFi and some time over the next few days.

...a few hours later....
So here's the deal about this blog entry.  The WiFi is...ummmm...no so good.  I'm having trouble getting a single picture uploaded. That's OK.  I'm going to post this blog without pictures for now and hopefully add some when were in Agra or Jaipur.  We did manage to upload a video of a rickshaw ride yesterday.   So you can check that out along with some of our other videos on our YouTube channel here.. http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvXw0Hh-Rtmvt10ldhrgCBQ