Monday, July 28, 2014

Small town Ontario, Canada


Since arriving in Canada, we've spent a number of days in the town where we were both born, Cornwall Ontario.  We've had a number of house keeping items to tend to, but found the time to satisfy some cravings and get in the annual highlights that go along with summer in Cornwall.

By chance, one of my favorite events of the summer was happenning on  our first full weekend back.  RibFest!  I have to be honest, although they smelled great we opted for the chicken instead of ribs this time!  It's a great event that brings many people out to enjoy music, food, and the waterfront that Cornwall has along the St. Lawrence river.


All the ribs and BBQ you can imagine!


The band shell for some live music in Cornwall



So, one of the very first things I did when we were still in Europe once we decided to come home was to email my insurance and make sure my motorcycle was good to go once we're back.  My Dad and I don't miss a single opportunity to get out and ride!


The first thing we did after landing at the airport was to visit a great Canadian institution for hot drinks.  Gordon, you've got "The Grind" in Cronulla (which was great), and Iuri couldn't rave enough about his fave, "Gloria Jeans" which is all over Australia (buy 9 get one free...lol!).  Well, after being away from home for almost a year, we were happy to be holding some canadian comfort from Tim Horton's our absolute favourite!

Ahhh Tim Horton's coffee, the best in the world! (Yes it is!)

When asked about Canadian cuisine, we did enjoy the look we got from people when we said that beaver tails were a Canadian delicacy.  We would pause, then describe that it was in fact a pastry and not an actual beaver tail!



I know that "bridges" are not your typical blog topic, but I'm going to go there.  See, we've seen many unique bridges during our travels and often joked about this particular bridge back home.
This old, "extra large" bridge has been a much talked about icon in Cornwall since it was built.  While we were away, it was replaced by a much, much smaller one as you'll see in the video....
It's kinda funny actually that it's so huge considering the short body of water that it crosses.  There's a reason, which I'll explain in the video below.



I had to stop by "the office" and make sure things are holding up!  Lol!


It's been great coming home and seeing everybody.  I thought we'd get more done and see more than we have so far...  I have to say there have been a few things that are hard to get used to.  We watched a TV show for the first time last night and I couldn't help but yell at the damn thing during all the commercials.... "STOP TRYING TO SELL ME STUFF!!!!"...maybe we'll hold off on getting TV when we're back...!